Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Sumidero Canyon River Boat Tour


We boarded a tour bus for Sumidero Canyon where we embarked on a boat ride.  It was thrillingly fast and windy.  I had to take my earrings off to keep them from blowing away!  The kids loved seeing crocodiles, water birds, and spider monkeys.  Well, Ok, we didn't actually see the spider monkeys, but we looked at the spot in the trees where our guide told us they were.  There was also a waterfall that is referred to as the Christmas Tree because of its likeness to one, and a chapel where natural colors have developed on its walls.  Somebody climbed up to a niche to perch a Guadalupe ensuring every spot sacred.  My favorite was meeting a floating store exactly when we were headed home.  A family had fresh fruit, chips, beer, and aguas frescas for sale--so resourceful and refreshing. It was a gorgeous and enjoyable trip, but I feel like my photos don't do it justice.

Later we walked the cozy streets of San Cristobal one last time and ate amazingly delicious pizza. I tried a local favorite, a mix of beer with a combination of spices akin to a blood mary.  It was kind of awful, but I'm glad I tried it. We packed and hit the hay for a good night's rest.  We have bus tickets for Palenque early tomorrow morning.



baby crocodile on rock








crocodile on beach



Christmas Tree





No comments:

Post a Comment