Saturday, June 28, 2014

Mission: Pollito

 Our apartment at Villa Maria is furnished and decorated with Oaxacan made things.  Abraham and I were particularly attracted to this little ceramic chicken planter that was on our coffee table.  The kids would put their markers, super balls, and hello kitty stamps in it.  Both Abe and I sketched it during our first days here.  Unfortunately about a week ago Penelope knocked it over, and it broke.  We consulted with Maria regarding whether we should pay for it or try to replace it.  She recommended the latter mentioning all of the markets and artisan co-op stores may have it, but we'd probably have to ask around.  After a few stops, we found a replacement at a co-op.  It's a polla, a little larger than our other pollito, and she has a blue flower instead of yellow, but it works!  Mission accomplished.

I love all of the artesanias and leaving these co-ops like these makes me want to be an import/exporter like Art Vandalay.  The ceramics are great, but I fear I'd break them before getting them home.  So, I asked if I could take a photo of them.  The Virgenes are my favorites.  We are otherwise having  a sluggish day spending our afternoon in the cool shade of our apartment like lazy lizards.  We may venture out in the evening for a walk and sit in the zocalo.




giant puppet in front of artesanias co-op


broken pollito

new polla

sketch of original pollo

No comments:

Post a Comment