Friday, June 20, 2014

Seeking Soledad

 This morning we ventured to the large Wal-Mart type store for groceries which we lumbered home like donkeys.  Among our purchases was American Cheese which we don't normally buy at home, a set of water colors (for Pen), and a recorder (for Abe).  I guess what I am getting at is that the kids are tiring of the walking and sight seeing and we're looking to keep them out of our hair so that Pat could get some work done and so I could rest (not feeling super hot today).

In the afternoon we stopped at the zocalo for sketching and cards on our way to the Basilica Menor de Nuestra Senora de la Soledad.  Outside of the basilica is a small plaza with homemade ice cream stands.  Pat and I enjoyed these fresh fruit, less creamy versions more than the kids, but now we know what to get for them if we return. We should go back; there are so many choices!

The basilica was built in the 17th century on the spot where Nuestra Senora de la Soledad appeared in a wooden box.  The statue of her which stands behind the altar dons a 5 pound solid gold and diamond encrusted crown.  I didn't take pictures because it felt disrespectful since the pews were full of devotees praying, offering flowers to the altar, and even one man passing down the main aisle on his knees.  I did photo a site for candles and offerings of a smaller statue.  She is the official patroness of Oaxaca, and I think she is the one I see in many niches around the city.

After our visit we returned to Villa Maria for home cooked dinner, early bedtime, and to play the game "is that thunder or fireworks?"
My choice--pistachio
Carved Entrance 

smaller statue
another image
prayers 
a large diorama type display illustrating the miracle/box


We think Monte Alban is visible on the top of these hills, but we're not certain



The chocolate district.  I wish you could smell it

I pass this Wagoneer everyday and wish it was mine

Our roof top respite area which happens to be dedicated to St. Francis.

No comments:

Post a Comment